Girl paralyzed after shooting in Las Vegas; family needs help

Vanessa Murphy and Stephanie Overton

22 mins ago

Draya Ransey, 6, is paralyzed after a bullet flew through the wall of her family's Las Vegas apartment in November 2023. (Courtesy of the Ransey family/Harris)

LAS VEGAS (KLAS) — Draya Ransey, 6, is paralyzed after a bullet blew through the wall of her family's Las Vegas apartment last November. Now a prosecutor is leading an effort to get the family the funds they need.

“It's heartbreaking because you think about the what-ifs and how her life and the lives of so many others could be different if we could turn back time. But we can't and we have to look forward,” Clark County Assistant District Attorney Dena Rinetti told 8 News Now Investigators.

Rinetti tried the criminal case against 31-year-old Arreion Willoughby, the neighbor who fired the shots from the apartment next door. Willoughby claimed it was an accident. A judge sentenced him to four to 11 years in prison in March.

While the criminal case is resolved, Rinetti said the family will continue to have to cover medical costs. They also need special medical equipment, including a wheelchair, a bed and a wheelchair-accessible van. The family, which moved to Utah for Draya's medical care, relies on public transportation and Uber.

“It's definitely overwhelming,” said Gregory Harris, Draya's father. “She's had 27 appointments in the last month alone.”

Harris said doctors told the family that Draya would never walk again, but they still had hope.

“We believe anything is possible and we know for sure that she will walk again,” said Porschia Ransey, Draya’s mother.

Ransey told 8 News Now investigators that the family found a van and needed to raise $30,000 to purchase the vehicle.

As the family tries to adjust to their new normal, they are still struggling with the trauma of the shooting.

Draya's 7-year-old brother found her on the bathroom floor.

“I thought she fell, my baby fell, and she looked at me and just kept saying 'Mommy,'” Porschia Ransey said. “She was so shocked.”

The family did not learn of Draya's shooting until a doctor told them at the hospital.

“I couldn’t breathe,” Porschia Ransey recalled. “I couldn’t breathe anymore.”

Draya was in the hospital for about five months.

“My baby should not be in a wheelchair. My baby should not have a feeding tube in his stomach. My baby should not have a tracheotomy. My baby should not have to be hooked up to three different machines Monday through Sunday. He should not wear a diaper,” said Porschia Ransey.

If you would like to help, here is the link to the family's GoFundMe page.