close
close

Why he waited 13 years to marry his wife (exclusive)

Video speaks out after his explanation of why he waited 13 years to marry his wife went viral.

RELATED: Jonathan Majors and Meagan Good reportedly get emotional as they talk about their marriage and his domestic violence trial

That's why Vedo went viral

On Tuesday, June 11, Streetz 94.5 published a video interview with the singer via YouTube. About three minutes into the interview, Vedo spoke about his wedding to his girlfriend Shá. The couple had married earlier this year on Valentine's Day.

During the conversation, Streetz co-host Mzshyneka asked Vedo how long he and Shá were together before they got married. Vedo then explained that he and Shá were together for 13 years before they took the big step.

Vedo explained that Sha has been there for him since the beginning of his career. He then went into more detail about their journey to the altar.

“We have both grown, we [were] young, [and] we had goals we wanted to accomplish before we got to this point. And I thought, 'Hey, if we're going to get married, we're going to do it our way,'” Vedo explained. “…[After] thirteen years, I thought: 'Yes, the time has come.'”

Vedo then explained that he actually wanted to wait to get married until he and Shá had their first child.

“And I wanted to wait until I had a daughter – that may sound crazy [but] – I wanted to see if she was a good mother,” he added. “If she's a good mother, she's a good wife.”

Furthermore, Vedo explained that he and Shá were only engaged for about a year and a half before they got married.

Ultimately, Vedo reiterated his stance that a woman is a good wife if she is a good mother. Scroll down to see his full comments and see reactions from the Streetz co-hosts.

Social media attacks the singer

Social media users immediately took to The Shade Room's comments section to share their reactions to Vedo's stance.

Instagram user @ah.me.yah wrote:Absolutely not. NO RING, NO BABY 🤷🏽‍♀️”

While Instagram user @_pettyking added: “My question is… Are you a good father or do you have the qualities to be a good husband while observing the qualities of the woman?”

Instagram user @flyestnerd wrote: “When someone says ‘that might sound crazy’, it DEFINITELY sounds crazy”

While Instagram user @soldbyism added: Lord, send the flood. I'm sick of it.”

Instagram user @faith_with_an_e wrote: What kind of logic? So if she turns out to be a terrible mother, what would the child be? Collateral damage?”

While Instagram user @ashliechannelle added: The idea that marriage is scarier than having a baby is INSANE!”

Instagram user @like.yanna wrote: So you only recognized her qualities when she became a mother 😒”

While Instagram user @b_bee added:He didn't know she was a good woman until 13 years later? Lol. Man, WHAT? Get out of my face, TF. That's manipulation. Men always want you to prove you're a good woman. How about you prove you're a good man and worthy of me being your wife. TF”

Instagram user @rareartistry wrote: You can be a great mother and a terrible wife… You can be a great father and a terrible husband.”

While Instagram user @the.jee.spot added: Intrusive thoughts like this should be taken to the grave… because he thought he ate while saying he didn't know if she would be a great mother or wife in 13 years 🙄🤧”

Instagram user @godschildjason wrote: I'm not going to lie as a grown man. I'm not going to have kids with a woman to see if she's a good mother. I can use my intuition and God to figure out if we can go on this journey of life. Some of these guys need to get older and grow up.”

While Instagram user @teerachelle_ added, He felt better just singing!”

Justin Laboy wrote: He must be a Pisces if he says shit like that… If you want to waste the best years of your life, find yourself a Pisces 🥴😂 #Respectful”

In the meantime, even Vedo has added something.

Cook me like a roast chicken! 😂😂 damn it. SEND HELP!!“

Vedo addresses the backlash and clarifies his words

It didn't take long for Vedo to clarify the matter. On Thursday, June 13, The shadow room received an exclusive video from Vedo in which he makes his feelings clear. The singer explained that his girlfriend becoming a good mother was “one of the reasons” he wanted to marry her. However, it was not “the only reason.”

“This goes hand in hand with wanting to see if we can successfully navigate the transition into co-parenting while still loving each other just as much,” he said. “…Having a child can complicate things and sometimes cloud the love we have for each other. At the same time, being a mother is a hard thing.”

Vedo explained that he feels more confident that he has a “damn great wife” when he sees how his partner is always “there” and “sacrificing herself” for their child – even on her “worst day.”

The singer ultimately explained that if his partner can do those things for a child, she can do those things in a marriage. In addition, Vedo stated that he was “ready to be a father” before he was “ready to be a husband.”

Check out his full views below.

Notably, Vedo's statement sparked sustained reactions in The Shade Room's comments section.

Instagram user @indeskribeabull wrote: It doesn’t get better 😂”

While Instagram user @the_fashionable_therapist added:Now you have a daughter. When her boyfriend comes to you and tells you she has to wait 13 years to prove she's marriageable, what do you say?? Yeah…that doesn't age well, does it? 🫤🤦🏽‍♀️”

Instagram user @thepaulahellens wrote: He's here to explain some MO-BULLSHIT!! Good fucking night!!”

“Remember that line from J. Cole that when you laugh at a millionaire, you're the joke. Because there's nothing wrong with not having a million, but laughing at a millionaire like you don't want to be one yourself…” he wrote.Imagine single women and single mothers (there's nothing wrong with that, we all have people in our lives that we love) laughing at a married woman and a married man because they think they should have done things differently – but the irony is that you didn't do it at all.”

RELATED: EXCLUSIVE: Woman with bouquet in viral James Harden video is his girlfriend